Thursday 19 November 2015

Date and Bran Muffins

The first time I ever ate a bran muffin was when I was 17, no joke! They had some terrific baked goods at a little bakery near to me, but I always chose the date and bran muffins. Here is my version of this moist delectable muffin that will make you forget it is a bran muffin!
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, line muffin tins, I have medium sized tins, so this recipe will make 16 muffins

Step One
1 cup chopped dates
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup +1 tablespoon orange juice
1-2 tablespoons Orange zest, optional

In a medium sauce pan, assemble these ingredients, bring to boil, then let simmer until thickened, remove from heat and let cool, you may wish to add some orange zest to this mixture.

Step Two
1 cup flour
1-1/2 cups bran
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Mix these ingredients in a large bowl or large measuring cup, set aside, (I use a large 8 cup measuring pitcher making it easy to fill muffin tins)

Step Three
1 egg
1 tablespoon oil
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup packed brown sugar

In a small bowl, beat these ingredients together, then add all at once to the flour mixture, followed by the cooled date mixture. Fill lined muffin tins, bake at 375 degrees F for 20-22 minutes, makes about 16 medium sized muffins that are low in fat but very tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment